Glances an Eye on your System is developed in Python Language that uses PsUtil library to get information from your system. Glances is a CLI curses based monitoring tool for GNU/Linux and BSD OS. Glances is made by @nicolargo and available on GitHub. Using it you can view information about Processor,Load,Memory,Network bit rate, Processes, Disk I/O,Filesystem and Logs and warnings.
Here is an Screenshot which shows the system activities like CPU activities, Number of Networks with activity on every Network,Processes with there PID, user running the process name and and memory used by each process, Mounted drives with used space and total space and Warning Critical Logs for CPU,Load and Memory.
Importants stats are colored:
- GREEN: stat counter is “OK”
- BLUE: stat counter is “CAREFUL”
- MAGENTA: stat counter is “WARNING”
- RED: stat counter is “CRITICAL”
How to Use Glances and Important Shortcuts
- Open Terminal and Run command $ glances and it starts. Stats refresh screen every second but you can change setting by running $ glances -t 5 to set refresh time 5 Seconds you can increase time according your preference.
- ‘h’ to display a help message.
- ‘a’ to set the automatic mode. The processes are sorted automatically.
- ‘c’ to sort the processes list by CPU consumption
- ‘d’ Disable or enable the disk IO stats
- ‘f’ Disable or enable the file system stats
- ‘l’ Disable or enable the logs
- ‘m’ to sort the processes list by process MEM
- ‘n’ Disable or enable the network interfaces stats
- ‘p’ to sort by process name
- ‘q’ Exit
For more more information and installation guide visit Glances.
Image Credit: Glances/nicolargo